Nika (Nikoloz ) Kazbegi was born on December 26, 1908 to noble parents in Tbilisi
His father – Ivane Kazbegi who was a general in the Imperial Army, was compelled to emigrated and stay abroad for the rest of his life.
His mother – Ekaterine Chichua a graduate of the Smolni Institute for Nobles Maidens in Petersburg, didn’t accompany her husband abroad and remained in her homeland with her younger son.
1926 – Nika Kazbegi became a student at the Tbilisi Academy of Fine Arts. His teachers were distinguished painters Evgeni Lansere and Gigo Gabashvili.
1930 – Being labeled as an emigrant’s son and people’s enemy, Nika Kazbegi was compelled to leave the Academy .
1930- He worked intensively in almost all leading theatres of Georgia with well-known directors V. Kushitashvili, G. Juruli, A. Takaishvili, G. Mikeladze, S. Chelidze and others. He designed settings for around 300 performances.
1940 – 1943 He was Chief Production Designer at the Tbilisi Young Spectator’s Georgian Theatre.
1946 -1958 Chief Production Designer at the Sokhumi Drama Theatre.
1949 – 1953 He was the Chairman of the Union of Abkhaz Artists.
1951 - Nika Kazbegi was officially recognized as the Honored Artist of Georgia.
1959- He started as an art director for the film studio “Kartuli Filmi” at the film “Nino”.
His other works include the films “Father of soldier” (together with Z.Medzmariashvili), “An Encounter with the past”, “The City Wakes up Early”, “Expectation”, “ A Necklace for the Beloved”, “Chari - rama”, “Night Visit”, “A Poem about an Abkhaz Lad”, “I’ll Be Back” etc. (17 films in all).
Nika Kazbegi was awarded several times for the best setting at the Soviet Union Drama Festival. The performances that brought him the fame are”Destruction of a Squadron ”, (Marjanishvili Theatre), “Great Ivane” (Tbilisi Puppet Theatre), “Thunder” (Orjonikidze Drama Theatre), “Before the Bullock Cart Turns Over ” (Omsk Drama Theatre).
His sketches were displayed at several group exhibitions.
1983 N. Kazbegi died.
1984- His first solo exhibition was held in the hall of the Georgian Theatrical Society, Tbilisi.